Dal Palak recipe combines the goodness of spinach and lentils. This healthy and delicious recipe goes well with Rice, Chapati, Roti. Palak is cooked with onions, tomatoes, cooked lentils and tempered with basic Indian spices. This way you can also make spinach haters to eat it. The lovely green and yellow colour combination of the dish tempts to eat.
Let’s see what’s required and how to make it.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Serves: 2 – 3
For cooking Dal
Toor dal – 3/4 cup
Water – 1 cup
For cooking Palak
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Garlic – 5 cloves
Dried red chilli long – 2
Curry leaves – a sprig
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Onion – 1/2 (chopped)
Tomato – 1(finely chopped)
Palak – 1 bunch
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1.Pluck palak leaves then add them to a pot with water. Allow it to rest for a few minutes and then drain them. Chop the leaves as required.
2. To a cooker add soaked and washed toor dal along with water and cook for 4 to 5 whistles till the dal gets cooked.
3. To a pan add oil. Then add Mustard seeds when they crackle add cumin seeds, garlic.
4. Add Red chilli, Curry leaves, onion and saute till they turn translucent then add asafoetida.
5. Add Tomatoes and saute them well in oil. Then add chopped palak. Saute them in oil till they get cooked. Add little water if required for the palak to get cooked.
6. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, required amount of salt and mix well.
7. Add cooked dal and mix well with the palak. add water so that the dal gets mixed nicely with palak and we get a nice curry. Serve it hot with Rice or Roti.
Click here for other Kootu Recipes
Do check my other Vegetarian Recipes