Vazhaipoo/Banana blossom is so healthy, especially for women. Include them in your food as much as possible. It helps to manage diabetics and anaemia. You can also find other recipes with Vazhaipoo like Vazhaipoo vadai
, Vazhaipoo thoran
in my blog. Vazhaipoo kola urundai has a nice taste and flavour because of the spices added. In this way, you can make everyone eat this even though they might have hated it before. Let’s see how to make it.
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Makes: 35 nos
Vazhaipoo / Banana blossom – 1
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Potato – 1 (big sized, boiled and grated)
Onion – 1 (medium sized, finely chopped)
Salt to taste
Roasted Chana dal – 1/2 cup
Coconut pieces – 1/2 cup
Shallots – 10
Green chillies – 3
Garlic – 2 pods
Ginger – a small piece
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Cloves – 3
Cardamon – 1
Cardamon – 1 inch piece
1. Clean the vazhaipoo/Banana blossoms. For detailed pictures of how to clean them. Click here
. I used the florets without chop ping them as we are going to grind them. Soak them in water after cleaning to avoid discoloration. To remove the bitter taste in them. Soak them in butter milk.
2. To a pan add 2 tsp of oil. Squeeze the water completely out of them and add them to the pan. Add Turmeric powder and taste. Saute them in oil till they get cooked well.
3. To a mixie jar, add the Roasted channa dal and powder them. Transfer it to a plate. Now add the other ingredients given for Grinding. Add little water and grind them to a fine paste. Add the sauteed florets into the mixie jar and grind them.
4. Transfer the ground paste to a bowl. To it add Red chilli powder, boiled and grated potatoes, chopped onions. Mix them well. Check for salt. Add if required. Heat Oil for frying. Make small balls of the mixture by rolling it between the palm.
5. Drop the balls into the oil. Fry them in medium flame to a golden brown. Then remove them from oil. Place them in a tissue paper to remove excess oil. Similarly, fry all of them.
Serve them as a Starter or as a Evening snacks.
Click here for more Snacks Recipes.