Hi all. I Hope you all are doing well. Since there was a quick decision made on a vacation to India. I was busy with shopping and packing. I couldn’t make my posts regularly. Sorry about that and now We have settled a bit. So continuing with my posts. Let us see an interesting curry made with mixed vegetables in South Indian style called Veg Kurma. In All South Indian thali, you find this veg korma /Kurma served along with Chapati or Poori. Also, This veg kurma is served mostly with Chapati, poori or Paratha in most of the hotels. It tastes amazingly awesome. I made this veg kurma for chapati along with onion raita. This is a good combo which tastes well together. Kalpasi/Kapok buds/Marathi moggu is the spice which gives a nice aroma and flavour to this kurma as well as the paste made with coconut, cashews, roasted channa dal, green chillies and fennel seeds and makes it taste similar to the hotel style kurma. Now let’s see how to make this simple recipe.
Preparation Time : 20 mins
Cooking Time : 30 mins
Serves : 4 Persons
- Oil – 3
- Cardamon – 2
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon – 1 (2-inch piece)
- Mace – 1
- Kapok buds/ Kalpasi/Marathi moggu – 1/2
- Onion – 1 no. (big sized, thinly sliced)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Carrot – 1 no. (peeled, chopped into small pieces)
- Beans – 10 nos. (edges trimmed and chopped into small pieces)
- Potato – 1 no. (small size, peeled, chopped into small pieces)
- Cauliflower – 1 cup of florets
- Green peas – 3/4 cup
- Green chillies – 2
- Tomato – 1 (medium sized, finely chopped)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut – 3/4 Cup
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos.
- Roasted channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Green chillies – 2 nos.
1. Wash the veggies. Peel off the skin of Carrots and Potatoes. Cut the veggies into small size pieces. I used dried green peas and soaked them overnight. Keep all the veggies ready. To a grinding jar add grated coconut, green chillies, roasted channa dal, fennel seeds and grind them to a smooth paste adding water.
2. To a pressure cooker add oil. When the oil is hot enough Add Cloves, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Kalpok buds(Kalpasi/Marathi moggu) and Mace. Let the whole spices splutter. Then add sliced onions. Fry them to light golden. Then add ginger garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell of it goes off. Then add all the cut vegetables and green peas. Saute them well. Add green chillies and chopped tomatoes. Then add Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Give them a nice mix. Add about 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Then switch off the flame. Open the lid once the pressure is completely released.
3. To the cooked veggies add few mint leaves, coriander leaves and curry leaves. Then add the ground coconut paste to it. Rinse the jar with about 1/2 cup of water and add the water to the curry. Cook
Serve with Chapati,Paratha,Idiyappam or Appam.
Click here for more Vegetarian Recipes.