I love biryani. As far as it is biryani whether it is veg or non veg it is always yummy and tasty. May be this dialogue is repeated but I have to say it. I love beetroot a lot. Some times I have a craving for biryanis so I try to cook biryani and make it with what is available at home and today was one such day and there were about 2 beetroots lying in my fridge so it is a beetroot day for me.
Also check my other Vegetarian biryanis.
Let’s see how to make this simple and easy beetroot Biryani in pressure cooker.
Preparation Time : 20 mins
Cooking Time : 25 mins
Serves : 2 Persons
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cinnamon stick -1(1 inch piece)
- Cardamon – 3
- Cloves – 4
- Onion – 1(medium sized, sliced)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tbsp
- Tomato -1(medium sized, chopped)
- Green chillies – 3
- Beetroot – 2(medium sized, chopped)
- Mint leaves – a handful
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Curd – 4 tbsp
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Lemon – 1/2
1.Wash Basmati Rice and soak them in sufficient water for about 20 to 30 mins and drain them. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. To it add Bayleaves, Cinnamon,Cardamon and Cloves. Let them splutter. Then add sliced onions. Saute them well. When the onions turn light golden. Add ginger garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell of garlic and garlic goes off. Add chopped tomatoes and green chillies. Saute them well.
2.Add chopped beetroot to it. Saute it well in the oil. Add Coriander leaves, mint leaves to it. Then add salt, Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix well. Add Curd to it. Mix them all well together. Then add soaked and drained Basmati Rice. Mix well. Add 1 and 1/2 cup of water to it.
3. Squeeze half lemon into it. Mix well. Check for salt and add if required. Place in high flame and bring it to a nice boil. Then close the pressure cooker with the lid and cook in low flame for 8 minutes.After that switch of the flame. Open the lid after 10 minutes. Serve it hot with Raita.
Click here for more Vegetarian recipes.