Knol khol which is also known as cabbage turnip. It has a Crunchy texture. It tastes similar to that of cabbage. This is the first time I am cooking it as my husband insisted me to make a recipe with it. I asked mom for the recipe and she said to make it like other veggie stir fry. Then I made this knol khol stir fry for lunch along with Rice and Lady’s finger puli kuzhambu. It was nice and we loved it. I am sure this recipe would be helpful for those who are going to cook this veggie for the first time just like me. Let’s get into this super quick recipe.
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tap
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Sliced Onion – 1/2 cup
- Dried red chilli – 2 or Round dried red chilli – 5
- Curry leaves – a few
- Knol khol – 2 (medium sized)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
1.Peel off the skin of knol khol and wash them well. Chop them into small pieces.
2.Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Add Mustard seeds. Let them splutter. Then add chana dal Urad dal and dried red chillies. Saute them the dals should light golden then add sliced onions. Saute the onions to light pink. Then add few curry leaves. As I ran out off curry leaves. I didnt add them. Then add chopped knol khol and saute well.
3. Add salt to taste. Add Turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix them well. Cook till they get soft. Finally add grated coconut and mix well. Saute them for few minutes and remove from flame.
Click here for more Poriyal/Stir-Fry Recipes