Today my lunch was Rice, Drumstick with moong dal, vendakkai pachadi and fish fry. This vendakkai pachadi is made by cooking Lady’s finger in a gravy of onions, tomatoes and tamarind. This pachadi is tangy and mild spicy in taste. This pachadi goes well with Rice. You can find this recipe served quite commonly in hotels and marriage functions for vegetarian lunch meals. You may also like my other Lady’s finger Recipes like
Lets see how to make this Pachadi
Preparation Time :15 mins
Cooking Time : 25 mins
Serves : 3 persons
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1 (medium size, sliced)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Green chillies – 2 (break into 2 pieces)
- Asafoetida / Hing – a pinch
- Lady’s finger – 200 g or 1.5 cup
- Chopped Tomatoes – 3/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Tamarind juice – 3 tbsp or more as per taste
1.Wash Lady’s finger well in water. Wipe the Lady’s finger with a towel. Trim the both ends of Lady’s finger and cut them into pieces.
2.Heat oil in a kadai. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Then add sliced onions, Curry leaves and green chillies. Saute them until the onions turn light pink. Add asafoetida. Then add sliced Lady’s finger. Saute them for about 5 mins until the slimeness of it goes off.
3. Add chopped tomatoes to it and saute well. Add salt, Turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix them well. Now add 1/2 cup of water and allow them to cook for about 3-4 mins. Finally add tamarind juice. And cook till it starts to boil. Switch off the flame.
Click here for more Vegetarian recipes.