Methi or fenugreek leaves are so good for health. Whenever there is a stomach related problem everyone at home asks me to take fenugreek seeds. And it gives relief within minutes. Fenugreek is used mostly in all South Indian dishes like Sambar, Puli Kuzhambu, vathakuzhambu, pickles etc. I love the smell of fenugreek. Whenever I find fresh methi leaves while shopping I used to grab a bunch and make dals, stirfry or add it with some veggies. North Indian dishes also use fresh fenugreek or dried ones in it. Adding dried methi or Kasuri methi to dishes like paneer butter masala makes the dish more flavorful. Now let’s see the recipe of methi dal. I made it along with Rice and bhindi /Lady’s finger fry.
You may also like
Preparation Time : 20 mins
Cooking Time : 40 mins
Serves : 3
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Methi leaves – 1 bunch
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 5 pods(chopped)
- Long Dried Red chilli – 2 or Round dried red chilli – 4
- Onion – 1 (medium sized, chopped)
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Green chillies – 3
- Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
- Tomato – 1 (medium sized, chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
1.Take toor dal in a pressure cooker add about 1.5 cup of water and pressure cook until the dal gets soft. Mash them well.
2. Cut the roots part and discard it. Then Chop the methi leaves. Take the chopped leaves in a strainer and wash them well with water.
3. To a kadai add oil. Then add Mustard seeds let them crackle. Add Cumin seeds, dried red chilli and chopped onions. Saute till they turn light pink. Then add green chillies, Curry leaves, asafoetida and chopped tomatoes to it.
4. Saute the tomatoes well together with the onions. Add salt as required,red chilli powder and mix well. Cook till the oil begins to appear on the edges. Then add chopped methi leaves.Saute them well and allow them cook for about 5 mins. Add the cooked toor dal to it. Mix well. Add about 1 cup of water and mix well. Cover and cook for 5 mins. Methi dal is ready
Serve With Rice, Roti or phulka.