I love all the veggies. So I never avoid any of them and the whole credit goes to my parents for it. Now me as a mother I have to make my daughter eat all the veggies. It is a big task really. I have to make the veggies in a way they love to eat. She loves mor kuzhambu/moru curry. In order to make her eat bitter
You can also find other interesting recipes with bittergourd
Let’s get into the recipe of bittergourd yogurt curry
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 30 mins
Serves : 3
- Bittergourd – 1 (sliced into rounds, deseeded)
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Shallots – 5
- Green chillies – 3
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Shallots – 6(sliced)
- Dried Red chilli – 3
- Curry leaves – a few
1. Take yoghurt/Curd in a bowl and beat them well. Wash the bitter gourd and slice them into neither thin nor thick round slices. Deseed them. Take them in a bowl. Add salt to it. Let them sit for about 10 mins. Then squeeze the bitter gourd with your hands. This will help to remove some bitterness from it. Add these pieces to a pan along with water and allow them to cook. Add a little salt to it. Cook until the bitter gourd gets soft.
2. Grind grated coconut, Cumin seeds, shallots, green chillies and Turmeric powder to a smooth paste adding water.
3.Add the ground paste to the cooked bittergourd. Add about 1/2 cup of water to it. Bring it to boil. Then switch off the flame. After some time add the beaten Curd into it and mix well.
4. Make a Tempering with Mustard seeds, sliced shallots, dried red chilli and curry leaves in a tbsp of oil. I used Gingelly oil. You can also use coconut oil instead. Add this tempering to the curry
Serve with Rice and veggie fry or stir-fry.
Click here for more Recipes.