Vazha Thandu or banana stem is so good for health. It is good for people with kidney stones. As my mom has kidney stones she used to buy this regularly and make dishes out of them at home. She usually takes the banana stem juice as it dissolves kidney stones. Stir fry and pachadi are the most common dish made with the banana stem. Another favorite dish which is made with it is soup. I love it a lot. Coming to the cooking part of banana stem the cutting part is a bit difficult. Other than that it is so simple to make it. I have not cooked this before. Only after coming here I have tried dishes with it. As my husband insist me to get it as they are so healthy. Even I don’t know how to prepare it when I was cooking for the first time then I asked my mom for it. She asked me to cut them vertically round slices but I forgot it and cut them lengthwise horizontally and chopped them into small pieces. Then I found the thread like fibres in it and it was so difficult to remove it then. Then I understood I have done it wrong. However, I made the stir fry with the same. It was nice. But the fibres were remaining and it was a bit disturbing while eating. So never do the mistake which I made. Now I have learned from my mistake how to prepare it properly for cooking.
Now let’s get into the recipe.
Preparation Time : 20 mins
Cooking Time : 30 mins
Serves : 3
Also try out the other recipes made with raw banana (vazhakkai) and banana blossom (Vazhaipoo)
- Banana stem – 1 or chopped banana stem – 3 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1 (medium size,sliced)
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Coconut slices – 3/4 Cup
- Shallots – 6
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Green chillies – 2
- Dried Red chillies – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
1.Take coconut slices, shallots, green chillies, garlic and Cumin seeds in a blender. Grind them coarsely without adding water.
2. Remove the outer part of the stem with a peeler till you reach the middle part. Then cut them into round slices. You can find thread like fibres when you them in slices remove them and add the slices to a bowl of water. After slicing them completely remove the from Then pile up about 4 to 5 slices and chop them into small pieces. Add them to the bowl of water to avoid the color change.
3. Cook the chopped banana ste pieces with Turmeric powder and salt adding about 1 cup of water till they get soft. Drain if there is excess water and transfer them to a bowl.
4. To a pan add coconut oil. I always prefer using coconut oil for stir-fry. Add Mustard seeds to it. Let them crackle. Then add sliced onions to it. Saute them till they get pink. Add few curry leaves to it. Then add the ground coconut masala to it. Saute them for few mins. Add the cooked banana stem to it and combine them well. Add salt if required Cook for about 2 mins and then remove from flame.
Click here for more Poriyal/stir – fry Recipes
Serve with Rice and any kuzhambu/curry varieties