Yesterday my lunch was White rice, Rasam, Crispy fried plantain and brinjal poriyal. This poriyal or stir fry goes well with Rice and any Kuzhambu varieties. Last Friday we visited the nearby vegetable market. There were many stalls and they sell different veggies and fruits there under the same roof. The vegetables and fruits were so fresh and cheaper when compared to the hypermarket’s price. We got a bunch of different vegetables for 2 Omani riyals. The veggies were surplus so that we and our neighbour family shared the veggies equally. So there was a large variety of veggies lying in my fridge. As aunty don’t cook brinjal and as I cook them a lot she gave me her share of brinjals too. This time I thought of making my dad’s favorite stirfry with brinjal and it is my hubby’s favorite too.
Also check my other brinjal recipes.
Let us get into the recipe.
Preparation Time : 20 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins
Serves : 3
- Oil – 1 tbsp +1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Brinjal – 15 nos (small size, diced into chunks)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Shallots – 5
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
1.In a Grinding jar add grated coconut, shallots and Cumin seeds. Ground them into a coarse paste without adding water.
2. Wash the brinjal and Dice the brinjal medium sized chunks. Immerse them in a bowl of water to retain its color. Heat oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds. Let them splutter. Then add the brinjal pieces. Saute them well in oil for 2 minutes. Then add Turmeric powder, sambar powder and Red chilli powder and salt. Mix them well and allow it to cook for 5 minutes. Drizzle some oil if required.
3. Add the ground coconut masala to the brinjal and mix well. Cook till the raw smell goes off for about 5 minutes. Remove from the flame. Serve with Rice.
Click here for more Vegetarian recipes.