I am always fascinated with cooking fish curry. Adding different ingredients and cooking method makes each fish curry tastes different. Even depending on the fish used the taste of the fish curry also differs. I got this recipe my neighbor(aunty). When my husband bought some pomfret fish from the Street fish Vendors. The fishes were so fresh. This time thought to do the fish curry in a kerala way.So asked aunty for a curry recipe with pomfret and got this one. We enjoyed this Curry with Rice and Fish fry. I love kerala style fish curries especially the sourness of the Cambogia/Kudampuli(Fish tamarind) added in most of their fish curries. Another favorite part in their style fish curries is the sliced garlic and ginger pieces added. They give a nice crunch and an lovely aroma to the curry. Definitely give a try to this fish curry.
Also check out my other Seafood recipes.
Now Lets see how to make this meen(fish) curry.
Preparation Time : 20 mins
Cooking Time : 25 mins
Serves : 3 – 4
- Pomfret fish – 10 pieces
- Kudampuli(fish tamarind) – 2 small pieces
- Rock salt as per taste
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Sliced Garlic pieces – 1 tbsp(sliced thinly)
- Sliced Ginger pieces – 1 tbsp (sliced thinly)
- Shallots – 10 to 15 (sliced roughly)
- Curry leaves – a few
For Masala paste
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
1.Soak kudampuli in 1 cup of hot water. Clean the fish pieces and wash them well.
2. Take grated coconut into a Grinding jar. Also add red chilli powder, Kashmiri Red chilli powder, Coriander powder and Turmeric powder. Grind them into a smooth thick paste adding water little by little.
3. In a pot add oil. When it is hot,add Mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let them splutter. Then add sliced garlic and ginger pieces. Saute them in oil for a minute. Add sliced shallots an d curry leaves to it. Saute it well for about 3 mins in medium flame. The shallots should turn translucent. Add the ground masala paste. Mix well and cook for 2 mins so the oil seperates and comes out. Add the diced tomatoes and cook for a minute. Then add 1/2 tsp of rock salt.
4. Add the soaked kudampuli along with water. You can also add 1/2 cup of water. Bring the curry to boil. When it comes to a nice boil. Add the cleaned fish pieces to it. Swirl the pot so that the fish pieces get immersed well in the curry. Cover with a lid and cook in low flame for 10 minutes. Check for salt and add if required.
Serve with Rice.
Click here for more Non-Vegetarian Recipes