Today my lunch was Ghee Rice, Mutton Dalcha, Onion Raita, Kerala Papad and Pickle. I always have a habit of having papad and pickle with Ghee rice or Biryani. Some people may think it as a weird combo but I love it. Coming to dalcha it is prepared by the combination of dal, Mutton and veggies. I learnt this recipe from my mom. Usually, we use toor dal and chana dal for making dalcha. Coming to the veggies my mom use brinjals, Drumsticks, onions and tomatoes mostly. Particularly I don’t like drumstick in mutton dalcha so I avoided it. You can add them if you like it. Generally, we use mutton bones and mutton fat for making this dish. This mutton dalcha is a great side dish for Biryani, Ghee Rice. This dalcha is a must on special days like Eid, family get together …..In marriage feast also they serve this dalcha along with Biryani.
Recently I came to know from my friend who is from Hyderabad that they too make Dalcha for Bagara Khana which is similar to ghee rice.
Also check my other Mutton Recipes.
Lets see how to make mutton dalcha
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 40 mins
Serves : 4 -5
For cooking Dal and Mutton Bones
- Toor dal – 1/3 Cup
- Chana dal – 1/3 Cup
- Mutton bones – 1/4 kg
- Shallots/Small onions – 5
- Garlic – 4 pods
- Green chillies – 2
- Water – 1 and 1/2 Cup
- Brinjal – 5 (cut into halves)
- Mango – 1 (small size,cut into thick slices)
- Onion – 1 (small size,sliced)
- Tomatoes – 1 (medium sized,Chopped)
- Green chillies – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind – a small piece
- Coriander leaves – a few
- Water – 2 Cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp (I used gingelly oil)
- Cinnamon stick – 1(1 inch piece)
- Cardamom – 1
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Sliced Onion- 1/4 Cup
- Whole Dried Red chilli – 2
- Curry leaves – 2 Sprig
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tbsp
1.Wash Toor dal and chana dal well in water and add them to a pressure cooker.Add shallots,garlic and green chillies.Then add the cleaned mutton bones and fat to it.Add 1 and 1/2 cup of water to it and pressure cook till the mutton gets tender.If you think that your mutton will take more time to cook.You can first cook the mutton alone in the pressure cooker when they are almost cooked you can add dal and the other ingredients.
2. Wash and chop brinjal, mango, tomatoes, onions. If the brinjal is big cut them into 6 pieces. Else if they are small cut them halves. Take the brinjal, mango, tomato pieces along with sliced onions, green chillies in a pan. Add 1 cup of water and allow them to cook. When they are half cooked. Add turmeric powder, Red chilli powder, Coriander powder, Asafoetida and salt. Mix well. Then add the cooked dal and mutton pieces. Combine the veggies and dal together.
3. Allow them to cook for 2-3 minutes in medium flame. Check for the sourness and add tamarind extract accordingly. I soaked a small piece of tamarind in 1 Cup of water and added it or if it already tastes sour you can just add water to it. Place the flame in medium and allow it to boil. When it comes to boil add coriander leaves and switch of the flame. In a tadka pan, Add oil. When it is hot. Add cinnamon stick, cardamom, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, sliced onions, Whole Dried red chilli, Curry leaves and ginger garlic paste. Add the tempering to the curry. Mix well. Serve hot with Biryani or Ghee Rice.
Click here for more Non-Vegetarian Recipes.