Last time when I bought some raw papaya for making thoran. I saved one for making pickle as the pickles had finished. I always love to have pickles in my lunch. I usually make pickles with lemon, garlic or mango. This time for a change I wanted to try raw papaya pickle and it came out so well. It tastes similar to an Instant mango pickle. For sourness, I have used vinegar. I have made the raw papaya pieces rest along with vinegar and salt in the refrigerator for 4 days so that the raw papaya will get a nice sour taste.
It is so simple to make. Store it in a glass or ceramic bottle and refrigerate it. Use a dry spoon to take it when required.
I have also posted a few other pickle recipes. Check them too.
Let’s see how to make this pickle.
Preparation Time : 3 to 4 days
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Raw papaya – 1 or chopped raw papaya – 2.5 cups
Vinegar – 1 cup
Rock salt – 1 tbsp
For Roasting and Grinding
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds -1/2 tsp
Gingelly oil /Sesame oil – 1/3 cup
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Garlic – 7
Green chillies – 5
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri Red chilli powder – 4 tsp
Salt as required
- Peel the skin of raw papaya. Wash them well in water and chop them into small pieces. Take these pieces in a glass container. To it add vinegar, salt and mix well. Store it in the refrigerator.
2. Keep the soaked raw papaya in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Take them out daily and shake them well.
3. In a pan roast Mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds. Let them splutter. Then transfer them to a mortar and crush it well into a powder.
4. In a pan heat oil. When it’s hot add mustard seeds. Let them splutter. Then add garlic, green chilli pieces and curry leaves. Place in low flame. Add Turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder and the ground masala. Mix well. Then add the soaked raw papaya along with the vinegar.
5. Place in medium flame and allow it to boil. Add salt as required. Mix well. The pickle should become thick it shouldn’t be watery. Then switch off the flame.
Raw papaya pickle is ready.
Store it in a glass or ceramic bottle and refrigerate.
Click here for more Vegetarian recipes.