I love this recipe. I have been cooking this dish for ages and it tastes so yummy. I learnt it from one of my aunt who is from Kerala. The original recipe uses beef and deep-frying. But I have adapted some changes to it and make this mutton chilli. This is a perfect starter and a side dish that goes well with Rice and dal. I am addicted to this combo. Any mutton fry recipe goes well with dal and rice. Use a non-stick pan so that you can use less oil and the mutton fry comes out crispy and each piece is separate from one other.
Also try the other mutton recipes in the blog
Let’s see how to make it.
Preparation Time : 45 mins
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves : 2 to 3
Oil – 1/4 cup (I used coconut oil)
Sliced ginger – 2tbsp
Sliced garlic – 2 tbsp
Green chillies – 3 (sliced,adjust as per your taste)
To Pressure cook
Mutton – around 350 g
Tumeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Kashmiri Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Fennel powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Corn flour – 1.5 tbsp
Salt to taste
Lemon – 1
1. Cut the mutton into small cubes or strips. Wash them well in water and drain the water completely. Then add the mutton pieces into a pressure cooker. Add salt, turmeric powder and mix well with the hands. Add 1/2 cup water and pressure cook for 4- 5 whistles until the meat gets tender. After the pressure is released, open the lid, if there is water either you can cook it and reduce the water completely or drain the water. You can use the water for soup. Remove the mutton pieces from it.
2. Take the mutton pieces in a mixing bowl. There should be no water in it. Add Red chilli powder, pepper powder, Coriander powder, cumin powder, fennel powder, garam masala and ginger-garlic paste.
3. Add cornflour. Squeeze a lemon into it. Mix well all the ingredients with the hand. Check for salt and add if required. Allow it to marinate for about 30 mins.
4. Heat oil in a pan. To it add sliced garlic,sliced ginger and sliced chillies.Fry them.Then remove them from the oil.
5. Add the marinated mutton to the pan.Fry them well.Fry until the pieces get seperate and are crispy.Drizzle some oil if required.Use a non stick pan for this.so that the mutton gets crispy as well as less oil can be used.Finally add the fried ginger,garlic and green chillies to the mutton.Give a mix and switch off the flame.
Serve hot with some lemon wedges.
Click here for more Non vegetarian Recipes.